Tomorrow afternoon at 3:00pm (give or take) a shout of joy will go up from local schools, because winter break will be here. It will bring 17 days of vacation, celebrations and family togetherness. However, sometimes all that togetherness can wear a little thin, especially if all of your kids’ friends are out of town and the weather isn’t exactly cooperating. On top of that, many parents don’t exactly get the same generous vacation packages that their kids do. If you’re wondering how to keep your kids happy, active and engaged over winter break, never fear, because there are some great local options right here in the Tri-Cities.
City of Coquitlam
Coquitlam Parks, Recreation and Culture is offering daily camps over the holiday break for kids ages 5–14. Camps run from 9:00am – 3:00pm on December 23, 27, 30 and 31, 2013 and January 2 and 3, 2014. Camp fees are $31.20 per person, per day.
- At Poirier Community Centre, youth aged 11-14 can participate in Youth on the Go. There will be adventure, fun and friends, and activities include games, crafts and more.
- Also at Poirier, kids aged 5-6 and 7-10 can take part in Kids on the Go. They’ll enjoy games, activities, sports, crafts, a trip to the swimming pool and more.
- At Pinetree Community Centre they’re offering camps for kids aged 6-8 and 9-12. Activities include holiday themed crafts, gym games, cooking and more.
For camp details and registration information, visit coquitlam.ca/StayAndPlay.
City of Port Coquitlam
Port Coquiltam is offering daily camps for kids aged 5-14. Camps run from 9:00am-4:00pm and while the days vary depending on the age group, the general dates are December 23, 27 and 30, 2013 and January 2 and 3, 2014. Fees range from $35 per person per day for kids to up to $46 per person per day for youth.
- Kids aged 5-10 can participate in Winter Break One Day Adventures at Hyde Creek. It will be a different adventure each day. Activities include games, crafts, swimming or skating and more.
- Youth aged 11-14 can participate in Youth Winter Camp at Hyde Creek. Have fun and meet new friends as you enjoy bowling, swimming, games, crafts, billiards, dodgeball, ping pong, and gym time. Plus – bonus points – hot dog lunch and drinks provided.
For more information, or to register, visit www.experienceit.ca.